For someone who has lived, worked and partied with musicians since a very early age, it’s shocking how little I used to listen to the radio. But, thankfully, my new found obsessionial love of sewing has sparked a renewed love of radio, in particular BBC Radio 6! A great all round, varied, genius playlist even though it does draw attention to my short term memory! Such brilliant company at night when everyone’s in bed and it’s just me and the the hum of the machine. And by day at work when I’ve got my designer head on, but sshhh not too loud though, some people can’t hear themselves think! ;-).
Many a planted seed, conversation, memory, argument and debate has been triggered just from the intro of a song that was from the 70s, 80s, or 90s… or even last week…. have you heard David Bowies new single? ♥
Anyhows, one such seed that got firmly planted was the realization of how many bands were named as types of fabric!
So here you go, in no particular order:
1. The Chiffons (A lovely one to have stuck in your head)
2. Suede (Oh yes!)
3. Corduroy (Remember these?)
4. Black Lace (sorry!)
5. Velvet Revolver (woken up yet?)
6. Velvet Underground (Another velvet, sorry cheating a bit!)
7. Psychedelic Furs (I won cinema tickets to see the movie from a radio phone in!)
8. Billy Cotton and His Band (I used to work in the road behind the Lambeth Walk!)
9. The Swinging Blue Jeans (Well kind of Denim!)
10. Elastica (Forgot how much I like this!)
I feel sure I’ve missed one or two. Can you think of any I shouldn’t have missed?
Happy Thursday everyone! x