Well here is the long awaited vintage Simplicity 3320 in plaid! First worn today on the last day of a lovely few days spent with Mr Ooobop! in Brighton.
It’s taken a good few weeks to get this one together. Not because it was complicated but moreso because of all the finishing. The pattern didn’t call for a lining and to be honest I could probably have got clean away without one. But I wanted the dress to ‘slip’ on and not be a sweaty wrestling routine every time I put it on or took it off.
So I lined the bodice and the skirt but not the sleeves. I’m not sure lined sleeves are conducive to sweet smelling ‘pits’! The edges of the facings and the vestee are bound with red bias trim as are the hems of the sleeves.
By the time I got to the hem, I was all bias-trimmed-out and so I just overlocked and hand sewed an invisible hem.
I don’t know what I was thinking of when I opted for plaid… apart from perhaps a huge amount of inspiration from the lovely Vivienne Westwood herself! Matching plaid calls for a lot more patience and skill than I thought. I will have to research this further. But I did manage to vaguely match the side seams at least!
This dress isn’t perfect by any means but I really loved the process of making it up. One hallelujah moment for me was managing to fit the invisible zip with the seam lining up where the bodice meets the skirt. I always struggle with this on every garment I’ve made and its always been slightly misaligned but this time, once I had sewed the left side of the zip tape, I marked where the seam should line up and when I came to sew the other side of the zip tape it was pretty much spot on. This is probably old news to most of you and clearly I’m a bit slow on the uptake! But I’m so chuffed it worked!
I mentioned before about how I was impressed by the shoulder darts on the toile and I still maintain this is a great feature for me. I don’t think I have ever had a dress that fits me so well across the back and shoulders.
Now the collar is an interesting one. The pattern describes it as a detachable one. Mmmm. In the loosest sense I suppose. I used navy cotton velvet and again bound along the inside edge with bias trim, (I used some green satin bias) and then hand stitched to the inside of the v-neck, sandwiched between the vestee and the bodice. I suppose I could unpick it very easily if I wanted to detach it but a bit over and above the call of duty if you ask me!
Well, all in all this was a fantastic dress to work on. It wont be the last time I use this pattern, though I might opt for a block colour next time!
The picture below was shot by Mr Ooobop! and I think its fab. You can just about make out the old burnt out Palace Pier on the horizon!